src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Monday, October 17, 2005

Oh Hollywood, redux

Dearest Hollywood and affiliated filmmaking capitals: I realize that in our last communique I was less than kind in my assessment of your casting choices. But, you know, as a lady of color, I'm bitter like that. But you know how you can make me a wee bit less pissed-the-fuck-off with you? Cast this guy opposite a woman of color. Please. In his last, um, well, all the movies I've seen him in, he has starred with this lady, and this lady, and this lady, and--are you following? Spotting the trend? yes, we all know he is the sexy, the sexy enough to make all kinds of ladies swoon. But, you know, just once? Hows about we get a lady of color swooning? No, scratch that, I think I need to be more specific. Can we please have a black woman as his ladybird? Because if I'm not specific, god knows you bitches will cast her or her or someone else equally un-negro. Bitches. (Hollywood et al., not the actresses in question, of course). Get on it. Or will I have to write and produce that script my goddamn self? (And no, this does not count. Playing a black lady is not the same as playing alongside one. Though I cannot wait to see it.)

2 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 11:44:00 AM, Blogger K. said...

I was going to say that Hollywood's made him the male Thandie Newton, but then I remembered that she's at least played alongside Terrence Howard in "Crash."

Speaking of which, has Naomie Harris (28 Days Later) ever played alongside a man of color yet?

 
At 10/18/2005 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Baby Girl said...

I like him as an actor and I can't wait to see Kinky Boots either. Is it because these actors have British accents? I mean just because they sound "proper" doesn't make them white.

Was that too harsh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home