src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

And now I get why you're single.

MySpace dude writes me, complimenting my pics. I write back a thanks, a line about something in his profile. Whatever, I was being polite. He emails me again shortly thereafter. I don't respond immediately. This is what I get about 48 hours later: "I was hoping for a response-maybe get the ball rolling towards getting to know you more. " Um, it's only been two days, partner. Patience is a virtue. You could take this little interlude to think about the situation one of two ways: 1. It's been two days. Guess she isn't interested. Next! 2. It's been two days. Guess she's really busy. If she writes later, okay, if not, Next! *shaking head* Now, as an intensely paranoid individual, I frequently twist myself into momentary agony in situations similar to his. If a friend doesn't email me within a day, I tend to think, "Dear GOD, what have I done, why do they suddenly hate me?!?!?" For all of 4.37 seconds. Then I remind myself that I am in fact the paranoid child of a broken home, and as such tend to overreact to imagined neglect, and also that most people do (*GASP!*) have lives that don't involve me. I always, always make myself wait another day. (Nine times out of ten, I get a response within an hour of making that decision. ) I kinda get where he's coming from. Almost. I mean, I tend to save emotional demands for my actual friends, but you know, hey. That doesn't mean I have to deal with his bullshit, though. If you haven't learned to play it a little cooler by damn-near 40 years old, you're not going to, I'll wager. Next!

4 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 03:17:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I can't believe you didn't say anything to Daniel when you might have seen him in public. WHOOPS! I should have replied to that somewhere else.

I know what you mean, cause I freak sometimes but I'm the WORST at returning emails. I'm either at work where I have to do the minimize game when I hear a noise behind me, or I'm at home where the connection is flaky. Its not personal to anyone. Whew. I'm so glad to get that out.

Dude is weird. That's a little too much for someone you don't know. NEXT!

 
At 3/23/2006 04:25:00 PM, Blogger sj-the-infamous said...

*giggle*...yanno, in this increasingly connected, electronic communication world we have learned to expect immediate responses. Instant gratification. But we need reminders that IS NOT okay sometimes to be immediately gratified....as you have let him know LOL

 
At 3/25/2006 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Okay, as I read what you write about being "an intensely paranoid individual" and a "child of a broken home" who "overreacts to imagined neglect", I thought to myself: OMG we are cyber twins!!!!! :-)

 
At 3/27/2006 11:11:00 PM, Blogger maryann said...

i think that perhaps you, me and stolie are in someway related b/c once i read the bit about being a paranoid individual, etc. etc. i was like:

oh. my. god. that's SO me.

stoopid creepy myspace guys. have you gotten a friend request from the guy who allegedly is a ph.d. or something?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home