src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Tart.


tea and cake
Originally uploaded by Siddity.
I have the evening off, so I devised this whole big "I'll just go out and have a pot of tea and dessert, and read a book at some nice little cafe all by my lonesome" plan, which was supposed to be writerly and romantic, with the cold November rain and all (haha, must allude to the GNR whenever possible).
After an hour and a half slogging around the UWS looking for a suitable spot, I gave up and bought a rustic apple tart at the Columbus Bakery (83rd and Columbus) and went home to my own warm bed and teapot.

This is the first time in my new NYC digs that I am really missing Boston. This would NEVER have happened there (where my favorites were Algiers, which is actually in Cambridge, Tealuxe, and the Espresso Royale. Ooooh, and there was this place in Somerville, I can't recall the name, but it had the best hot chocolate, called the turtle, methinks, oh, how I miss it...christ, I'm getting maudlin over beverages. I need more friends). You can't throw a scone without hitting some little nifty cafe up there, sigh. Anybody know of a good student-y cafe in the area? As fall moves into winter, with the whole lack of daylight thing already likely to have me in the dumps, I'll need a little pick-me-up spot.

6 Comments:

At 11/05/2004 01:18:00 PM, Blogger Kay said...

Is Someday Cafe the place you're talking about in Somerville? (Nice blog by the way! I'm lovin it!...and not in a McDonald's kind of way)

 
At 11/05/2004 05:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in the wrong part of the city for that. There used to be some places on the UWS but they are mostly gone now. You will find some in the Village, parts of Brooklyn and on the East side. There is a cozy little spot I blogged about a few weeks ago off of Lexington in the mid 60s. Here are a couple to get your started:
http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurants/tp/tearooms.htm

 
At 11/05/2004 07:26:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

K--Yep, I think that's the one. Er, wait, no, the someday cafe is the one next to the movie theater, right? This one has red vinyl seats and is across from Joshua Tree, the bar, closer to Diva and the barbecue place and all...

B--or I think it's berry--thanks for the info! That was a great list. I thought the other night I could go to felicitea but found it quite closed (for good?)when I got there, and in going there lost time for Alice's, which had closed by the time I douhbled back. Yeesh. I guess I'll just have to leave the neighborhood.

 
At 11/05/2004 07:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Good guess. Didn't know Felicitea was closed. Their website doesn't even say that!

 
At 11/06/2004 03:02:00 PM, Blogger Rhapsodi said...

I feel you...this whole "getting off of work in the dark" thing is NOT cool...time to stock up on the herbal tea for those cold nights!

 
At 11/08/2004 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Kay said...

Diesel Cafe! I live right near there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home