src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I am still saving money for my move.

But can I just say that this impending change of life (leaving job, changing towns) has me so freaked about my impending poverty that I am actually spending money on (or at least thinking really hard about) spending money on all kinds of things before I go? In the last few weeks I have convinced myself I needed (and then blessedly talked myself out of) a new digital camera, a new iPod, new travel bags, a gorgeous black, embroidered FCUK skirt, a new set of Henckels knives, and more. I did not, however, manage to talk myself out of the out-of-season asparagus, single malt, imported cheese, none-too-cheap lingerie detergent.... All because I know that once I leave here, I likely won't be able to throw money around again. Ever. Okay, at least not for the next ten years. Am I a freak or what?

6 Comments:

At 2/21/2006 06:26:00 AM, Blogger divine m said...

How would things change if you set yourself up psychologically for something other than worst case scenario?

 
At 2/21/2006 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Nerd Girl said...

LOL! When I found out I was pregnant, I bought and hoarded basic stuff - toothpaste, paper towels, TP, deodorant, etc. I was convinced that the arrival of the child would render us broke forever and that we should at least be able to keep up with basic toiletry needs! Thankfully, that has not turned out to be the case.

 
At 2/21/2006 10:23:00 AM, Blogger K. said...

They make lingerie detergent? Wow. The things I don't know about. Chicago can be pretty affordable when it comes to food and entertainment and such. Maybe it won't be as bad as all that!

 
At 2/21/2006 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Sid said...

M: not at all. Because even if I find a job earning exactly what I'm earning now, I'll have a significant additional expense in Chicago. Put plainly: My cash plus non-cash compensation right now is roughly equivalent to the cash compensation of a jr. lawyer or mid-level manager or CPA or...

I'm just trying to be honest with myself. Right now, I spend too much. I can assume I'll find the perfect job--and I think I can--but if I'm honest with myself about what that job pays, I'll realize in advance that I will not be able to just go buy a $400 phone because I feel like it, a month after a take a $XXX vacation, and then after the phone buy an $XXX ring, and then the week after I buy the ring, take another $XXXX vacation...

NG: oh my GOD! I hadn't even thought of toiletries! I mean, I had thought about my more expensive personal care items--the cleansers, moisturizers, brighteners, fancy conditioners and cosmetics. If I already lived in chi, I think I would be stockpiling those, too! But I'd have to move all of it, and that would suck. Perhaps my next mission in life should be to find quality (cheap) drugstore brands.

 
At 2/21/2006 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

You'll be fine!!!! :)

Chicago is sooooo much more affordable than New York City. If you can make it here, you can *definitely* make it there.

Ahhh ... shopping. I remember those days. (I'm on Day #7 of my job search, so all shopping is on an indefinite hold.)

 
At 2/22/2006 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Ohhhh I love asparagus. YUMMY.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home