src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Thursday, December 02, 2004

The "More crap I can't easily tie together but I've used 'Randomosity' and 'Non Sequitur' too many times already so this has no real title" post.

Lots of random and rambling little bits: 1. I can't believe I forgot to blog it last week, but I had lunch with Saffron! We ate num-nums at Delta Grill, and then wandered over to Starchucks for warm and toasty coffee drinks (me) and tea (her). She's as groovy as she seems on her blog. I think we're going out Friday or Saturday with TBNY for food, drinky drinks and possibly dancing. Yay! 2. I think I saw Elias Koteas on Broadway, near 81st this morning. I think. If it was him, he's taller than he looks onscreen. Anyway, that was kinda neat. He's a good character actor (I place the weirdness of The Adjuster squarely on Atom Egoyan's shoulders). Cliff Curtis is another. Actors you know you've seen everywhere, but who are so diverse and who get so well lost in their characters you can't quite place them when you take them out of context. If I were an actor, I'd want to be that kind, not the branded, carry-a-film kind. That would suck. I know there are more character/non-star actors I love, but I can never think of them until I see them in something...hmmm....oh yes, here's another. Jeffrey Wright. Totally underhyped. I went to college with this guy's brother. The brother is much taller and better looking--and yet, he was a painter. Weird. Hmmm, that's it for the pseudo-celeb report. 3. I've been thinking about starting more blogs. Specifically, a politcal blog. After the AC came and tried to get all up in my biz, I started to consider a few things. The first being that I've really slacked off politically of late. I was once a hyper-political teen, very vocal (and well read) on my beliefs. AC reminded me of the kind of person I used to be, and I'd like to get back to that (Thanks AC, you've revived a monster). Unfortunately for AC (or not), even slacked off I'm more on top of my shit than a lot of people, but I could always know more. One can never have enough ammunition in the fight against....well, in a fight, I'll leave it at that. But between AC and a few other right-of-center people I've encountered recently, I've realized that conservatives seem to think that liberals are as ill-informed as liberals think conservatives are ignorant. Honestly, y'alls, we don't all worship at Michael Moore's altar*, and we don't all just mindlessly take our cues from Hollywood (the way we accuse you of taking them from the pulpit and the boardroom, ha ha). There's a lot of crosstalk here. And, with that said, I have been thinking more lately about treating those of you on the right with more respect, and maybe "letting the healing begin." I immediately discarded the notion--y'all get on my damn nerves--but I did think about it ;D. I've actually spent the last week-ish thinking about posting links to all my politireads just to get the ideas out there. I mean, I've been looking around--on- and offline--and found that these people literally have guidelines published on how to respond to our arguments! (Thanks to Maryann and her excellent links--especially Alas, a Blog, from whence I drew the link above, which apparently got there via Feministe. Brilliant.) That's crazy. I need to find out if the left is that well hypnot--er, organized, you know, to where we're issuing manuals and shit. I'd like a forum for the posting of interesting or noteworthy ideas and issues coming from the left and the right**. Know thine enemy, or whatever. But I don't feel this is the forum for that. This blog is where I complain about early calls, dish on what I had for dinner, and maybe make fun of myself and others. Anyway, I'm accepting suggestions on catchy politiblog titles. Oh, I might start a pervy/creative/dishy blog, too, but I ain't tellin' y'all how to get there if I do. My mama reads this. 4. In poking around the right, I've run across Ambra. I've read her before, but she never really held my interest, so I don't go often. That said, she ain't no fool. She's unarguably a religious zealot, but she's not stupid. She supports a very narrow, Christian morality. That morality has led her to supprt a lot of conservative ideas. I've found a lot of people have taken to copping out and calling her an Uncle Tom for this. Can we as a people please let that go? I mean, if you think someone is unintelligent, say so. If you think they are intolerant, say so. If you think they're crazy-ass religious zealots, say so (though they will no doubt chuckle and assure you God will smite you, or some such thing). But please, no more Uncle Tom accusations. That pisses me off. Especially when the accuser has a shit grasp of English that makes it really easy for people to discount any legitimate criticisms made. Dang. Just my opinion. 5. Cookies and kisses (Chocolate...Hersheys!) for the first person to come up with the punchline to this joke/riddle: How do you titillate an ocelot? I love this joke. It is so dorky. And way better than the one I made up about Texans and Tamils. Anyway. I didn't make this one up. I got it from this guy whose sole purpose in my life was to share this joke with me, I'm sure. 6. I have had WW veggie Lasagna for lunch and dinner all week. For once, I want some damn nachos. *As far as I'm concerned, the man is the left's Rush Limbaugh--a mouthpiece, a curiosity, maybe even a lightning rod for those who want to be angry but don't have time to do the research, and definitely someone to be taken with a shaker of salt. Nothing is ever black and white. Don't trust anybody who tells you it is. I'm just sayin'. Farenheit 9/11 was interesting, though. **I'm really quite fascinated, lately, with the way many right-of-center people think. Someone recently explained to me they believed that not supporting the war in Iraq may translate into not supporting the troops. Jayzus Christ, why are we still having that argument? People keep claiming that's so, and yet, the outcry against the troops keeps not appearing, you know, kinda like WMDs. That's the one fallacy that pisses me off most. How does "we want them home" equal "we don't support them"? I don't support Bush. I pray for the wellbeing of those he has deployed.

4 Comments:

At 12/02/2004 11:52:00 PM, Blogger Rochelle Ferris said...

you osciallte it's tits alot

 
At 12/03/2004 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Sid said...

So close! Close enough for the cookies or candies? I think so. Send me an address and I'll send you treats! Dang, that was quick :)

 
At 12/03/2004 01:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Holy Hell. My blogger sign-in never works from home. I have no answer to the riddle. I'm no good at riddles, sadly. Riddle me this, no. Although I will say, my brother has a best friend called Cliff Curtis but not THAT one. As for the troops. Not supporting the war is common among the troops DEPLOYED or hey - even the troops held WAY beyond their tour of duty. To equate not supporting the common soldier with this ridiculous war is pure ignorance. Don't listen to THEM, Sid. Might-be-the-coolest-guy-I-ever-dated is close to leaving in January and he voted for Kerry. Does he want to go to the land of sand? No. Does he want to support his unit? Yes. There's a difference and let us all respect that. Thank you. My Naval Reserve PSA is complete.
Mary @ mycrazylife

 
At 12/03/2004 03:54:00 PM, Blogger Jazz said...

Yeah Sid, you should start a political blog. I have to read the light airy stuff. Just to be reminded of the state of the US at the present time makes me want a cocktail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home