src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Hippo Birdie Two Ewes!!

That was the message on the birthday card sent me by TDMM, along with a copy of this, a box of this, and a bottle of this. And a hippo birdie it's been. I was all prepared to be depressed and pissy and down and lonely on my birthday, I really was. I had the booze, I had a lonesome plan, I practiced drunken lonely "moments" a la Renee Zellweger in the opening scene of Bridget Jones. Okay, not really, but I was ready for this day to suck. * And then, well, it didn't. It really, really didn't. My coworkers surprised me yesterday with cupcakes. That made me a little weepy on the inside, since nobody's ever surprised me for my birthday before, and the last time I was able to get more than 3 people together for it at once was, well, um....it might have been college, or when I was four. One of those. So that was a very cool three minutes. And I got the package from TDMM. She's so sassy. And then I woke up this morning and had the nicest birthday wishes in my inbox from y'all, and that made me weepy a little for real, since nobody was around and I didn't have to try to be manly. And then I went to the gym and came home to find a big old box of Godivas in a bag dangling from my doorknob, a gift from another coworker/neighbor. And then I went to Turning Heads Day Spa (218 Lenox, at the corner of Lenox and 121st, 1, 2, 3 or 9 at 116th or 125th) for a day o' beauty. I had a facial given by their aesthetician Tracy, who put me completely at ease, gave me a lovely facial, and gave me recommendations for good sushi joints, and we all know how much I loved that. I'll be visiting her once a month, methinks. Dekar, my hair stylist, tried his damnedest to cheer me up, the dear. It worked, because a) that man can do a mean blowout, (witness) sans Dominican torture or price-gouging tactics of those who shall not be named, and b) he went out and bought me a piece of cake. *sniff* Lucy, the nail guru, gave me a perfect french manicure and a lovely, mildly slutty red pedicure that was slightly ruined by the boots I had to tromp home in, alas. But it's still pretty cute if you don't look too closely at it, no? And then I headed home, made a pit stop at the licky mart for some VC, and at Ruby Foo's for sushi. And then I arranged all of my spoils on the counter and took a picture of 'em. And now I am partaking. As you may have guessed, at this point: I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and tipsy and liiiiiight (in the wallet) ...and so thankful that so many people I don't even really know took time out of their days to make mine a bit brighter. Thanks, you guys. *sniff* And later I might go out with a friend from grad school for a teeny bit of debauchery. This is the bestest birthday evar. Hic. *I went a little bit crazy in the self-bought gifts department, as this is the first year I have been truly gainfully employed, not in school or grad school, or temping or some such terrible shit. I thought I'd be all lonely and bored. And I just got a raise. So, not counting the spa day, I've gotten myself a fancy immersion blender, a pair of Shasta approved Shure E2cs, a 6.5 inch santoku knife, and a grip of CDs. But the CDs were for Baby, because she asked really nicely, so they don't count, right? And I showed excellent restraint by not buying the JBL OnStage, designer iPod case from Aneta Genova, nor the hothothot "Lover" John Fluevog boots. See? I'm doing really well!

8 Comments:

At 2/03/2005 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I'm so glad to hear you had a good Birthday! It sounds awesome and I love the spread. You have to tell me what that roll on the left is. YUM. And your hair. Tres magnifique! I'm going to have to say you can't cut it in the bob you like now. Nope, sorry.

One of my girlfriends always drinks a bottle of VC on her birthdays, too. Nice tradition!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SID!!!!!!

 
At 2/03/2005 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

HA! I just saw the pic of you in the sexy strappy shoes! They look oh-so-sexy with the slutty pedicure!

 
At 2/04/2005 01:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like you had the perfect day!

Hilari
Make Me

 
At 2/04/2005 03:21:00 AM, Blogger Sid said...

Thanks Mary! The roll on the left is a *cough* peking duck roll *cough* What? My birthday is a major holiday, right?

Hilari: Thanks lady! I love your crafty blog!

 
At 2/04/2005 08:35:00 AM, Blogger Baby Girl said...

That is the perfect b-day dinner. I believe in celebrating for a whole month. So you can have time to see everyone and let it soak in gradually. This weekend I'll be having my "decadent" dinner.

 
At 2/04/2005 09:01:00 AM, Blogger maryann said...

i'm glad you had a great birthday! pretty kick ass on your hair-doer getting you a piece of cake... that's so sweet! :)

 
At 2/06/2005 03:07:00 PM, Blogger her gypsy eyes said...

Happy belated.... And also hey I know Dekar... For a few reasons... The shop I used to go to... he owned... and two because now I go to turning heads... Gotta keep the locks tight... Hope all is well...
Peace

 
At 2/07/2005 04:44:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

Naeemah: Dekar is great! And I love turning heads. Maybe since we missed dinner we'll run into each other there, lol.

Will: It's ALLLLL in the mystery. Once that's gone, what's left is a little round goofball in brightly-colored kicks, lol. But I think we should definitely hang out one day, perhaps when X finally brings her ass back up here. Maybe we'll actually both make it to a TBNY dinner party, lol. You wouldn't even have to go shoe shopping then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home