src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Monday, August 29, 2005

There just are no words.

I keep giving great heaving sighs. I can't even work up a good rant. I just...jesusfuckingchrist. Asstards. Hipster asstards. Via Maryann. Go for the asstards. Stay for the "Jellyman Kelly"! Edit: Okay, so I found the words. I'm no stranger to socially crossing racial boundaries. And as an Ivy-grad, I'm certainly no stranger to the kind of outrageous sense of self-righteousness and entitlement that a certain kind of white boy possesses--the kind that just comes up with newer and more creative expressions of contempt couched in humor. We all know the type--they insult and degrade with a smirk, and when called on it, they cry humor, irony, you-just-don't-get-it, you're-too-uptight. The thing that scares me is that, in their little whitewashed, narrow minds, I think some of them truly believe they are being positive, are trying to break down boundaries. That the people who are calling bullshit really are the ones holding back the march of progress. That we really shouldn't be offended when they take something, mock it, turn it to their own use, lock us out and call it respect, admiration. That they're doing us a favor. You know, same old. Irony. Humor. Entertainment. I keep getting stuck on that whole irony claim, though. The fact that they have taken a fringe-element of hip-hop, started spinning it at all-white "Kill Whitey" parties in which they are supposedly killing the whiteness within, for a bunch of hipster numbnuts who are then stupid enough to actually admit they come to the parties to GET AWAY FROM THE KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO CREATE HIP-HOP, that they are deliberately creating all-white environments in which to "celebrate" the death of their inner whiteness, that they are walling themselves apart in order to allegedly tear down walls...the irony of that seems somehow to be lost on them. Fucking hipsters. Just stop. Just go ahead and give up your retail job and start your tedious white-collar career and move to Jersey and start your family with a spouse you hate only slightly more than you hate your children. Because no matter how you tart yourselves up, you're still suburban tourists. Bitches.

11 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 04:31:00 PM, Blogger deborah said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe this shite exists! Sharda Sekaran's last quote sums it perfectly.

And I hear you on the white boy self imposed entitlement. If I could count on my hands the amount of times I've been told to "just chill", and dont be so serious, I'd have to have a serious physical abnormality with my hands!

 
At 8/29/2005 07:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm down with pretty much what you wrote. Privileged white kids who don't understand that the irony isn't ironic but rather RACIST...and it's their race privilege that insulates them from having to deal with that reality (now THAT'S IRONIC!!). Sounds like America to me.

 
At 8/29/2005 09:24:00 PM, Blogger divine m said...

Beautifully said, lady.

Now how 'bout we get some of those hipsters to actually do or be something worthwhile . . . THAT would be ironic.

Oh but wait, then they wouldn't really be hipsters. . . .

Aw, fuck 'em.

I did think WaPo did a good job with the piece, though. . . .

I do think you should write a letter to the editor. They'd print it, betcha!

 
At 8/29/2005 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Viv said...

*slow clap* Bravo girl. Bravo. Way to rant.*slow clapping turns into furious stomping, clapping, whistling and cheering*

 
At 8/30/2005 01:49:00 AM, Blogger Fresh said...

Very disturbing, indeed.

 
At 8/30/2005 02:31:00 PM, Blogger Delia Christina said...

i saw this, too, and after getting in my own 'white privilege' rant that utterly exhausted me i just couldn't handle it.

you rock! excellent rant. excellent.

 
At 8/30/2005 08:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, though, it's important that these folks find some obviously idiotic enterprise with which they can entertain themselves.

So that we know exactly WHERE THEY ARE. So that we can be SOMEWHERE ELSE.

 
At 8/30/2005 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

You are totally right Siddity. Read that NYTimes piece and shook my head. "Get in free with a bucket of chicken"... What kind of racist mess is that? I think your final graph/sentence says it all :)

 
At 8/30/2005 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Edit on last comment: read that in the POST

 
At 8/31/2005 04:10:00 PM, Blogger divine m said...

I forwarded the article to a colleague of mine who writes and teaches about "whiteness," largely to white, private college students and here's what she said: "Shit, imitating black is the whitest thing in the friggin' WORLD!"

 
At 9/06/2005 01:28:00 AM, Blogger Delia Christina said...

exactly. it's called 'minstrelsy.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home