src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Memeries, misty, water-colored memeries

Looking over the list of songs that topped the charts in 1996, I'm amazed how little of it I remember, mostly because I hated most of it, but there are some good ones in there. Not many, but some. I think my years might have been '92-'94. Heh. Stolen from Keidra, year lists here. Likes underlined, loves in bold, hated in light colors because I am inept and know not how to strikethrough. 1. Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix), Los Del Rio 2. One Sweet Day, Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men 3. Because You Loved Me, Celine Dion 4. Nobody Knows, Tony Rich Project 5. Always Be My Baby, Mariah Carey 6. Give Me One Reason, Tracy Chapman 7. Tha Crossroads, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony 8. I Love You Always Forever, Donna Lewis 9. You're Makin' Me High / Let It Flow, Toni Braxton 1 0. Twisted, Keith Sweat 11. C'mon N' Ride It (The Train), Quad City Dj's 12. Missing, Everything But The Girl 13. Ironic, Alanis Morissette 14. Exhale (Shoop Shoop), Whitney Houston 15. Follow You Down / Til I Hear It From You, Gin Blossoms 16. Sittin' Up In My Room, Brandy 17. How Do U Want It / California Love, 2Pac 18. It's All Coming Back To Me Now, Celine Dion 19. Change The World, Eric Clapton 20. Hey Lover, LL Cool J 21. Loungin, LL Cool J 22. Insensitive, Jann Arden--I never heard this song until, like, 1998 when a friend with super gaydar would play it as she mourned her unrequited loves. 23. Be My Lover, La Bouche--I am beginning to have college dance flashbacks. 24. Name, Goo Goo Dolls 25. Who Will Save Your Soul, Jewel 26. Where Do You Go, No Mercy 27. I Can't Sleep Baby (If I), R. Kelly 28. Counting Blue Cars, Dishwalla 29. You Learn / You Oughta Know, Alanis Morissette 30. One Of Us, Joan Osborne 31. Wonder, Natalie Merchant 32. Not Gon' Cry, Mary J. Blige 33. Gangsta's Paradise, Coolio 34. Only You, 112 Featuring The Notorious B.I.G. 35. Down Low (Nobody Has To Know), R. Kelly 36. You're The One, SWV 37. Sweet Dreams, La Bouche 38. Before You Walk Out Of My Life / Like This And Like That, Monica 39. Breakfast At Tiffany's, Deep Blue Something 40. 1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin' New), Coolio 41. The World I Know, Collective Soul 42. No Diggity, BLACKstreet (Featuring Dr. Dre) 43. Anything, 3t 44. 1979, The Smashing Pumpkins 45. Diggin' On You, TLC 46. Why I Love You So Much / Ain't Nobody, Monica 47. Kissin' You, Total 48. Count On Me, Whitney Houston and Cece Winans 49. Fantasy, Mariah Carey 50. Time, Hootie and The Blowfish 51. You'll See, Madonna 52. Last Night, Az Yet 53. Mouth, Merril Bainbridge 54. The Earth, The Sun, The Rain, Color Me Badd 55. All The Things (Your Man Won't Do), Joe 56. Wonderwall, Oasis 57. Woo-hah!! Got You All In Check / Everything Remains Raw, Busta Rhymes 58. Tell Me, Groove Theory 59. Elevators (Me and You), Outkast 60. Hook, Blues Traveler 61. Doin It, LL Cool J 62. Fastlove, George Michael 63. Touch Me Tease Me, Case Featuring Foxxy Brown 64. Tonite's Tha Night, Kris Kross 65. Children, Robert Miles 66. Theme From Mission: Impossible, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen 67. Closer To Free, Bodeans 68. Just A Girl, No Doubt 69. If Your Girl Only Knew, Aaliyah 70. Lady, D'angelo 71. Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First), John Mellencamp 72. Pony, Ginuwine 73. Nobody, Keith Sweat 74. Old Man and Me (When I Get To Heaven), Hootie and The Blowfish 75. If It Makes You Happy, Sheryl Crow 76. As I Lay Me Down, Sophie B. Hawkins 77. Keep On, Keepin' On, Mc Lyte 78. Jealousy, Natalie Merchant 79. I Want To Come Over, Melissa Etheridge 80. Who Do U Love, Deborah Cox 81. Un-Break My Heart, Toni Braxton 82. This Is Your Night, Amber--now I am flashing back to college dances and shuddering at my innocence, youth, hideous outfits, ridiculous bravado, and tragic dance moves. I hate this list. 83. You Remind Me Of Something, R. Kelly 84. Runaway, Janet Jackson 85. Set U Free, Planet Soul 86. Hit Me Off, New Edition 87. No One Else, Total 88. My Boo, Ghost Town Dj's 89. Get Money, Junior M.A.F.I.A. 90. That Girl, Maxi Priest Featuring Shaggy 91. Po Pimp, Do Or Die 92. Until It Sleeps, Metallica 93. Hay, Crucial Conflict 94. Beautiful Life, Ace Of Base--cringe, cringe, cringe. 95. Back For Good, Take That 96. I Got Id / Long Road, Pearl Jam 97. Soon As I Get Home, Faith Evans 98. Macarena, Los Del Rio 99. Only Wanna Be With You, Hootie and The Blowfish 100. Don't Cry, Seal Dang. What was I listening to that year, anyway? Looking at this list, one would think I was a little bland, college-radio addicted tart. And why isn't any of what I like on this list? Blech. I am getting so old. Oh, and Berry asked what I've been listening to lately: M.I.A., QOTSA (courtesy of Keidra), STP, Garbage, The Killers. Workout time, you know. Though I was listening to some Bebel and Brazilian electronica while I shopped today. I haven't bought anything recently, though.

3 Comments:

At 8/25/2005 05:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sniffle* I miss you SID!!! Will we have drinks when I hit NYC for Labor Day Weekend??? *hopeful smile*

 
At 8/25/2005 06:36:00 PM, Blogger K. said...

Hee! Spreadin' the meme like a bad rash! I noticed that for most of the years I glanced at, most of the chart toppers were completely unmemorable pop crap. A lot of the best music was nowhere to be found on the list.

Another QOTSA convert! It is Teh Yay!! I gotta download some M.I.A. so I can get the hype.

 
At 8/25/2005 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Viv said...

It's like a STD on Colin Ferrell! I love this meme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home