src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Death by Sexy 2.0: Sexy unto Death.

1. So, job two just asked me, with no event-planning experience, if I'd like to put together a 1,000 person throwdown in three months. And then, like, immediately plan another one in a month after that. Um. Actually? Yeah, bitches! Unpaid full-time event planning is The Hotness! Can I invite Diddy? Kidding. But it is a great job opportunity. I'm going to say yes. Here's hoping I don't balls it up to all holy hell. This kinda sexy could actually kill me. Yeeps. 2. Broadway Panhandler? Hot sriracha. I told you I was going to get knives. I copped a tip from a chef I know who directed me down yonder. I had every intention of rolling up in there ready to talk some smack, and test every gimongous chef's knife in there, from Global to Wusthof to Shun. I had even told myself I was ready to lay ot $200 for this Shun Pro I got to feel up the other day. Then I saw the Wusthof Grand Prix series 8" cook's knife was marked down from $130 to $45 on a closeout clearance. And the Grand Prix II parer was only $25, down from...I don't remember. And the honing steel was $42, down from $60. (Did you know you're supposed to sharpen your knives every day? I didn't know. I am ashamed. And I called myself a knife lover! Anyway, now my babies can be well cared-for, and will no longer be subject to the humiliation of being sharpened on the bottoms of porcelain bowls.) I'm siddity, but I ain't stupid. Wusthofs are good knives. Are they Shun Kershaw? No. Did they save me enough that I didn't feel bad about scoring these santa kicks along the way? Yep. Also acquired: Some Oxo tongs and can opener, a skimmer, Pyrex measuring cup, a new 9" cake round to replace the one I ruined a few months back, an adorable polkadot silicon gripping square, and a Zagat's 2006 Gourmet Marketplace guide. Total damage, including sneakers which will never be worn so much as near a kitchen, let alone in one: $278, or, roughly what I would have paid for the Shun Pro, alone. Thanks, Broadway Panhandler! Not bad for a days kitchen stocking. Oh hell, sleepynow. Back to edit later :)

4 Comments:

At 6/08/2006 09:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice on the Grand Prix II. They will serve you well. Shun is a bit fancier looking, but the Wusthof's are made from excellent German steel and will last as long a lifetime (or 5 lifetimes if you're a smoker).

I'm impressed... knife savvy yet thrifty at the same time... Well done :)

 
At 6/09/2006 01:47:00 PM, Blogger QuietlyGoingMad said...

Sid...girl, you're crazy---two 1,000 person affairs back-to-back? If there's any kind of info. I can give to help you out feel free to get in touch with me (uh, i'm a meeting/event planner just so that didn't sound like a stupid offer)!

 
At 6/09/2006 02:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like the way Global Knives handle. I like a nice Wusthoff though. I have no personal experience with the other brand. My kitchen features an ecclectic collection of EKCO FLINT VANADIUM knives from the 50's n 60's I have been picking up at Salvation Armies through out my bachelor history. I generally give then a quick couple of strokes on the white porceline (sp?) sink before cutting. -Rob

 
At 6/09/2006 03:46:00 PM, Blogger maryann said...

keeeyooot new shoes!

and can i say you totally intimidate me with the cooking talk? can i be you when i grow up, study at your feet, etc.?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home