src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

An Interlude, Wherein I Spend Some More Money

And money well spent it was. I popped in Tower Records before work this afternoon, and bought myself four new CDs. I like to buy CDs once or twice a year, in bundles like that, so that I suffer sticker-shock at the register and then I can really get in a good bitch-fest about how goddamned expensive CDs have become since the olden-days. Anyway, here's what I bought: The Rough Guides to Bhangra and Brazilian Electronica, Essential Bollywood, and Bebel Gilberto's new CD, Six Degrees. Here's the keeper: Bebel Gilberto, Six Degrees. I am in love with her voice. She and Sade, have, hands down, the sexiest voices in music, I think. I mean, there are cute voices, and there are powerful voices, and there are beautifully trained voices, and then there are voices that are just wonderfully evocative of a Sunday morning (afternoon and evening) in bed a deux. I wish I spoke Portuguese. Here are the ones I am totally going to rip three, four songs max, onto my hard drive, and then try to sell on Ebay: The Rough Guides. There are actually some pretty ill songs on the Brazilian electronica deal, but I've realized, belatedly, that I'm not all that into electronica in general, and putting the smutty words in Portuguese and layering tracks with those impossible-to-catch syncopated Brazilian beats does not help matters. As for the Bhangra debacle--listen, I realize I should just have bought a Panjabi MC CD and been done with it, but sometimes you gotta take risks. Here are the ones I haven't opened yet, and might return before I open it, sos I can still get a Panjabi MC disc instead, but really I liked Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Lagaan, Asoka, and Dil To Paagal Hai is on the way from Netflix, so maybe I will regret returning it: Essential Bollywood Oh, too late, I couldn't resist. Not at all bad, but not, as claimed, essential. Damn. Who wants to start a CD swap party? Everybody can come to my place, put their unwanted CDs in a bag, and go home with something different at the end of the night. It could be like a swingers' party, without any of the hangovers or suspicious damp spots! Any takers? Anybody? Oh. Okaythen. Maybe if I listen to everything a few more times, I will love it. That's how I ended up singing that damned stupid-ass LFO song "Summer Girls" a few years back. I hated, hated, hated that song, and yet could not resist singing "Summertime girls are the kind I like, I'll steal your honey like I stole your bike," every time it came on the radio, which was every six-and-a-half minutes. Grrrr. Now I need to get that out of my head. Bebel, take me away!

2 Comments:

At 9/01/2004 07:49:00 AM, Blogger deborah said...

LOL - you bought Bhangra and Bollywood cd. At least you are aware that Punjabi mc is only one part of the bhangra scene. Can you dance to bhangra?

Also saw the Bebel cd last time i was in hmv... was going to buy it... but im being a tight arse at the moment.

 
At 9/01/2004 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

Ha, yeah, I've watched a bunch of Bollywood movies and been like, I want that soundtrack! But I can't afford to buy a dozen soundtracks, so I thought I would try a compilation instead. And I cannot dance bhangra, or at least I've never tried due to that whole imminent humiliation factor. But you should get the bebel CD, it is completely worth it, especially for people who have a Boy to avail themselves of! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home