src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Godamighty.

Not blogging sucked. These are the things I would have blogged about if I could have, in a nutshell: 1. Forgiveness. A South African film about a white former-policeman, Tertius Coetzee, who seeks out the family of a colored freedom fighter he helped torture and kill during apartheid. The movie was quite good. The cast was strong, with very moving and subtle performances turned in by Zane Meas and Denise Newman, who played the parents of the murdered boy. The younger cast members, Quanita Adams and Christo Davids, as the slain boy's siblings, were also excellent. Adams was especially good, with a face made for indignation. Arnold Vosloo (probably best known as the Mummy in The Mummy) played Coetzee, and spent the better part of the film looking tortured. After the screening, Christo Davids, one of the actors, was on hand to answer questions. The poor boy. The questions were just plain fucked up. I'd talk about them, but I'm too tired. 2. The Shoes finally arrived. I am so done buying Pumas. This is it. I'll never need another pair. 3. 9:48 minute mile. Woohoo! This may not seem very important to you, but in high school, when we all had to run that mile for national health standards, I clocked in at, like, 22 minutes. Okay, wait, that's an elliptical 9:48, not an actual running 9:48, so maybe I shouldn't get too excited. 4. I saw De-Lovely last night. It was wonderful! I never thought of myself as a Cole Porter fan until I realized I knew every song in this film and had favorite versions of most. None of those favorites include Sheryl Crow. I'm sorry, but that woman's voice sounds like nails on chalkboard to me, and I'm almost offended she got to be one of the guest singers. I think I may be a Diana Krall fan now, though. And whoever did "Love For Sale" was good, but she wasn't Billie, and as far as I'm concerned, Billie's version is the only version. Despite Crow's crowing, I think I want this soundtrack. 5. Loaf might be back, from the road, some time soon. I may or may not be with him. 6. Something wicked this way comes, methinks. But I'm from Assachusetts, so I reserve the right to use that word as I see fit, positive or negative, and I don't feel the need to share which meaning I'm giving it right now. Mwahaha--okay, that amused only me. Happy Thursday! *walks away humming "the Sinatra version of "From This Moment On"* * realize I sound like a broke-ass Sheryl Crow* * keeps singing anyway*

2 Comments:

At 4/28/2005 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a huge Diana Krall fan, but a recent one. I would love to see her in concert one day.

Personally, I favor Ella Fitzgerald's versions of "Love for Sale" and "From This Moment On".

 
At 4/29/2005 03:51:00 PM, Blogger divine m said...

I found Sheryl Crow downright delightful compared to the whinging Alanis Morrisette. Who ever thought it was a good idea to put a microphone in front of that lass? Eeeesh.

Other than that, that movie, as Sid knows, ranks in the top ten for me. So sad, so romantic. It suits my mood (that seems to be lasting for nearly a year). Harumph.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home