src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Every now and then, I like to take my head out of my ass and update.

So, job two fell through, for the time being. That whole event planning gig wasn't really what I wanted to do in the first place, and I didn't think I could handle the strain of two full time jobs, one of which I would be flying blind throughout. I'll reapply for the next round. In the meantime, I'm going to cooking school, snitches. (I'm working on refining my vulgar vocabulary. Soon, I'll be able to end a declarative statement without any insulting address, at all! Yay!) Last Saturday I got to spend the day with the ever-delightful Ayana-no-blog, friend of Shasta, and finally met Mari-no-blog, also FOS. Ate and drank our way around Manhattan, from midtown down to the LES. I'm not. Even. Playing. We started with a classy brunch of meat and booze at ESPN Zone (well, Mari and I had meat. 'Yana was already done with her eating by the time I showed up.) Then we picked up Ayana's friend L, (who it turns out I went to grad school with and am fairly sure I have met before and now clearly wish I had gotten to know her better, she's fabulous, and how-the-fuck-small is the black media community, anyway?) and sort of lurched down to SoHo or somesuch to meet up with Stolie and her crew, who had been partying all over the city since 9 a.m. in celebration of the opening of the World Cup. Once we found them in the Cupping Room Cafe, a bar/restaurant too crowded to accomodate us, we took ourselves next door to the Broome Street Bar and had a pint. Then we all met up again and watched Stolie's group haul ass over to Les Enfants Terribles, another massively crowded bar, for the end of the final game. Finding that bar too crowded to stand inside--literally--we ended up at nearby Happy Shabu Shabu. For shabu-shabu. I mean, it's really all they do. Highlight: Watching 'Yana's look of horror upon realizing the shrimp she ordered for her swishy edification still had their little legs and heads. Low, um, light: realizing at the end of the meal that the place served beer. We could have made even more magic.) Then we wandered over to Rivington, but made a stop at Laboratorio del Gelato, where I had the most amazing black sesame gelato ever. Sesame is so underappreciated. It's a semi-nutty fattiliciousness. Add sugar, milkfat and egg. Hot damn! Or cold damn. Meh. Also, I have this inexplicable love for grey foods. I think they are just amazing. Like, the antithesis of what fresh food should look like, and yet, in this case, so good. Then on to Rivington, and Verlaine, where I began to fall asleep. It was only 7:30. I was on my way home by 8:30, and took a meandering walk from the LES, through SoHo, and then up into the West Village (I know I walked from one to the other, don't ask me how.) I was in bed by 10. In other news, today I made a real breakfast. Not the yogurt-and-berry kind, but with, like, eggs and toast and everything. By everything, I mean pesto and purple heirloom tomatoes, sprinkle of parmegiano reggiano. Astonishing. I rarely make pesto, but when I do, I often tire of it long before I use it all. This whole pesto-toast situation might actually have me making it regularly just for brekkies. I'm out of coffee. Later, expect a postacular on new ways for me to blow my cash, kitchen-style. Happy June.

3 Comments:

At 6/16/2006 12:24:00 PM, Blogger girlhattan said...

yay for the LES! my hood!

 
At 6/17/2006 10:22:00 PM, Blogger Jazz said...

OK SO,...NOW I'M HUNGRY.

MISS YA SID!!

JAZZ

 
At 6/19/2006 10:00:00 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

Ilove your posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home