src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Friday, February 11, 2005

Beignet, baby!

beignet Originally uploaded by Siddity.
I promise a beignet hunt and pictures, I deliver a beignet hunt and pictures. Tuesday night after work I set off for F&B (150 E52nd St.; I walked, so, no directions here, my friends). F&B serves, and I quote from the menu, "great European street food." I heard they might have the elusive beignet. Since I'd skipped the gym, and I was headed to get fatty-fried dough, I figured it might be nice to walk. From the UWS to Midtown East. Around block 25 (on the way there) I was thinking, "These better be some damn good beignets, goddamnit." Foreshadow, foreshadow, foreshadow. I found the place at 8:01, just as one of the employees was doing what looked alarmingly like some business-closing maneuvers. After I'd walked nearly thirty blocks. That made me want to do some indecent and likely illegal things with a baguette, if you know what I mean. Oh wait, without clarification, you probably don't. Um, hint, I wanted to shove it up the--oh, whatever. They were closing, but I had time enough to order my beignets. Um. To be fair, it was the very ass-end of the day, and they didn't have any proper beignets left, nor time to make any. What they did have was apple beignets. You know, beignets with apples in. Now, I'm pretty sure the beignets I've seen on the Food Network and what have you have been large and roughly square, and they have nothing inside. But these were little and round, like regular mini donuts. Which, I would think, makes the apple situation a bit of a bitch, no? But somehow they got 'em in there. Anyway, I took them home and ate 'em. You know what? They were not worth 40 round-trip walking blocks (halfway home I gave up the walking and hopped on the 9). They were not worth the $3.50 F&B charged for them. I'd have been happier skipping the couple of blocks to Krispy Kreme and back, spending $0.90 on an apple donut there. Dammit. I should have made my own. Street food my ass.

1 Comments:

At 2/11/2005 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Rhapsodi said...

Awwww man! I love beignets! I haven't had a good one since Cafe Dumont in Nawlins a few years back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home