src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Bitch-in-Kitch Episode II: Black Bean Soup for the Single Soul.

black bean soup Originally uploaded by Siddity.
Last night, after reading the exercise chapters of Bob Greene's new book, Total Body Makeover, I decided to cook some yummy, healthy black bean soup to help me get through this whole bootcamp thing. I usually wing it in the kitchen, and with something as simple as black bean soup, I went recipe-commando, so there won't be any exact measurements for you in this one. It's quick and dirty cooking, my favorite method. I use whatever's on hand and add until I like the taste. This happened to be one of my better efforts. 2 15.5 oz. cans of black beans 1/3 large sweet onion, diced 1/2 red bell pepper, diced 1 jalapeno, diced 1 bay leaf 2-3 tbsp. olive oil 1 tbsp. minced garlic (or about 1-2 minced fresh cloves of garlic) 2 c. water Sea salt to taste Cumin to taste (optional--as much cilantro as you like) In 3 qt. saucepan, saute onions, garlic, bay leaf, jalapeno and bell pepper in olive oil over medium-low heat, until onions are transparent. While onions and peppers are cooking, open and drain both cans of beans. Leave one can of beans whole; mash other can of beans until they form a paste (easiest to do this right in the can with a fork or wooden spoon). Add whole beans to onion mixture and stir. Add water and bring to a low boil. Add bean paste and stir until the paste is dispersed and soup has thickened. Add cumin to taste (I like it a lot so I add at least a full tsp., sometimes more). Add cilantro and salt to taste. Simmer over low heat for another 10 or so minutes, then remove from heat. For best flavor, let the soup sit overnight--I left mine out on the stove, but stick it in the fridge if you want. I had the soup for lunch today topped with a sprinkling of diced peppers and onions, nonfat plain organic yogurt (yeah, I could use nonfat sour cream, but, you know, how do they make cream nonfat without doing some seriously shady things to it?) and some decidedly fattylicious home-made guacamole, which I whipped up using my handy-dandy hand blender and the cilantro and chili-sauce dips I keep getting every time I order sushi from Ruby Foo's. Nummy. Now, this soup really is soup for the single--or very solidly attached. Because you know what? It's beans, onions, garlic and, with the toppings, dairy and avocado, and all of those ingredients have been known to, for some people, create a little action in the plumbing, if you know what I mean. So don't go making it if you know your relationship is on the rocks and one false poot could send it hurtling over the edge, okay?

6 Comments:

At 2/17/2005 08:21:00 PM, Blogger Greg Beck said...

Loaf says: Are you ready for some hot soup-on-soup action, muhfuggah?

Sid, you have got some serious shit wrong with you. Honey is there a name for it?

 
At 2/17/2005 08:59:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

Why, Death, I don't know what you mean! I only write what Loaf tells me to. Look at that sinister grin. He's a baaaaaaaaad cat. Loaf'll cut you in a minute, you know. I'm trying to get rid of his hard edges, but he keeps running away from the bread knife!

 
At 2/17/2005 10:29:00 PM, Blogger deborah said...

LMAO @ Death & Sid banter...

But Siddity.... this soup looks and reads sooooooooo good. Organic low fat yoghurt... hmmm... its okaaaay... but guacamolemolemolemolemole... yummmy!

 
At 2/18/2005 12:44:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Loaf is not evil. Loaf spreads loaf.

Man, I'll have you know this about the 5th time I've tried to comment at your place the last couple days. When are we gonna get you "Siddityinthecity.com"?

Soup sounds delish. Next time I'm mad at R, it's ON.

Cilantro. hmmmmmmmm........

 
At 2/18/2005 01:06:00 PM, Blogger Kay said...

I'm starving.

 
At 2/18/2005 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Fresh said...

One false poot! ROFLMAO...that is so cute! Gurrrrlllll, you so krazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home