src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

On comedy.

So, I'm watching Sarah Silverman's Jesus Is Magic. Considering it seemed like every critic in America reviewed this show as though they sat down in their theaters, Silverman appeared onscreen, and the sun commenced immediately to shine out of her ass, I expected some great, irreverent, off-color genius stand-up.

Uhhhhm. No. Nope. Not seeing it.* I mean, yes, she does say all the "irreverent" and "off-color" things she was touted for but...so what? I really don't see what all the fuss was about. It seems like most of the critics who loved it assumed if people hated it, it would be because it was "offensive." I wasn't offended, I just wasn't moved. She tried too hard to be edgy, said lots of things plenty of other comics have said before, and didn't present any of it in a way that was new or exciting, including her sub-par musical numbers (I can think of several other comics who really shine when given a thesaurus and a guitar. She falls totally flat. Totally). Unless, of course, the draw was that she was a pretty white girl saying these things. Female comics are usually not white, thin, straight and traditionally attractive. I guess that could be why people (and by people, I mean male critics) seemed to be falling all over themselves to sing her praises.

Because almost nothing she said was funny. Certainly none of the "un-PC" things were new, or exceptionally delivered. Oh, except this, delivered as the punchline to her "I'm not racist, I don't base my jokes on stereotypes, I base them on facts" spiel:

"Fact: Every 30 seconds in this country a person of color jumps up and down and waves their arms behind a local news reporter." That? Funny.

All of this is to say, this just proves that the only real beneficiaries of affirmative action? Cute, skinny white girls.

(Don't get mad. I was paying homage to Silverman's stand up style just there. It was a joke.)

*To be fair, the woman is dating Jimmy Kimmel, and if that's who she's bouncing her ideas off when she goes home at night, well...that's like Paula Abdul using William Hung for a vocal coach, is what that's like.

5 Comments:

At 7/27/2006 09:27:00 AM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

She's a heinous troll.

I'm not a fan of her "shock-jock" tactics. It's one of the oldest tricks in the industry ... you know ... use "offensive" behaviour, jokes, or language to veil the fact that you have absolutely no talent; and, when people say they don't like you (and they will), claim that it's just because they are "easily offended".

She bores me.

 
At 7/27/2006 12:03:00 PM, Blogger K. said...

I don't get why so many (mostly male) critics piss their pants over her brand of "humor" either. I'm not offended by her so much as I am annoyed by her shrillness.

And she ain't that cute, either. I just don't get it.

 
At 7/28/2006 12:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but nobody does offensive funnier than Eddie Murphy circa 1983 Delirious.

Nobody.

I'm glad that there's another woman in comedy, because women...and worse still, women of color...don't get a fair shake in the comedy business (what is it about funny women that intimidate men so? Could it be that a sense of humor is a mark of intellience, thereby guys think that only they can be "teh funny?" Ok. I'll stop now.) however I don't find Sarah appealing.

Believe it or not, the only female comedian that gets me to laugh consistently is Ayana, then Kathy Griffin. Your "it-was-buy-one-get-one-free-for-wild-boar's-head-so-i-couldn't-pass-it-up-hope-you -don't-mind-i-brought-them-and-my-other-groceries-on-this-date" story is a VERY close third. :-D

 
At 7/28/2006 06:57:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've never heard Silverman's stuff, but she gets a lot of press. I was wondering what the deal was. I didn't even know she was a comedian.

 
At 7/30/2006 06:14:00 AM, Blogger divine m said...

She. Totally. Sucks.

Of course, this is what you just said, with much more panache.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home