src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Buh-bye, Suede.

And another "upscale," "urban" fashion mag bites the dust. I don't know, I've read the three issues of Suede that have already come out, and while it certainly tried to fill the Honey gap (which may not have been wise, in the first damn place), I don't think Suede knew exactly what the hell Suede wanted to be. Do you want to be an upscale fashion and lifestyle mag that caters to black women, or do you want to have an astro section that features a ghetto quotient and run features on whether men prefer real or fake titties? (TDMM called that particular feature, from the first issue, I think, the deal-breaker for her.) And Jee-zus cornhusking Christ, how about getting an art director who is not clearly dropping acid every morning? It must have cost Essence/Time a mint in printing alone, considering how damn much color was going into every page. That said, I'm not hating on Suede altogether. I think an upscale urban fashion mag for younger women is a good idea, and I hope, as the press releases indicate, it's just a hiatus until they get their act together. We'll see. On another, related note--will someone please explain to me why Vibe has started a mag called Vibe Vixon, and not Vibe Vixen? Was that just a typo in the article? Because there is absolutely no goddamned reason--none, I say!--to misspell "vixen." That shit ain't right, and I'm telling you now, I'd protest that shit on the basis of the title alone. (Though, to be honest, I don't read Vibe anyway, and it's safe to say it's reeaaaaaaaally unlikely I'd pick up a Vibe fashion spinoff.) When will we as a people admit that misspelling shit ain't cute? (Says the girl who just spelled "Jesus" with a double-"e" and a "z." What? It's cute when I do it...) Ne'ermind, I just checked the Vibe site, where it is referred to as Vibe Vixen. Nice one, MediaWeek. Had me all worked up over nothing.

4 Comments:

At 2/26/2005 11:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl u are a damn trip! did ya'll have fun!?

 
At 2/27/2005 05:17:00 PM, Blogger K. said...

So what happened, exactly? Do tell! I really tried to give Suede a chance, but I'm not nearly as cosmopolitan and upscale as the target demographic. I think I liked Honey a little more.

 
At 2/28/2005 08:04:00 PM, Blogger Rhapsodi said...

THANK YOU! I was SO excited for Suede, and read it and it SUCKS!!!

 
At 4/12/2006 04:48:00 PM, Blogger inciquay said...

Wow, I'm doing a project on Suede for a maj journo class and I thought it was a pretty good start. Mind you, I've actually investigated so I had to look at it through an objective eye. I agree with you for the most part.
Love the blog. Keep keepin' on

 

Post a Comment

<< Home