src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Sunday, July 31, 2005

I used to be a people person.

At least, I thought so. But today, sitting at at table with three wonderful dinner companions, I realized I seem to have lost the knack for making small talk. I think I'm spending too goddamn much time alone or dealing with people I cannot have genuine conversations with. So I just can't do it anymore, even when I'm with people I actually want to talk to. I think I may now talk in blog-bites. Short, superfluous, random chatter. Maybe it's the ADD. Or maybe I've just become dull and withdrawn and crotchety. I hope not. I hope that a change in circumstance will lead to a return to my happy, skippy, cheery self. Is it time to get cats?

8 Comments:

At 7/31/2005 11:45:00 AM, Blogger Viv said...

Maybe it's that right now you don't have much to say or you're stressed out with life. That's what happens to me when I'm in the middle of shit. I talk less and don't have much to say.

 
At 7/31/2005 04:14:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

lol @ Is it time to get cats...

I agree with Viv or sometimes I'm tired without really feeling sleepy and can't hold a conversation to save my life. You'll be okay, Sid. :)

 
At 7/31/2005 05:29:00 PM, Blogger divine m said...

Small talk ain't interesting, anywho, Dahlink.

Nevertheless, a change in circumstance would do you good. . . .

 
At 7/31/2005 05:58:00 PM, Blogger Dayna said...

a writer gets writers block. A people person gets people blocked. It happens to me as well. I cure writers block by going out in the world and not stressing. I cure people block by sharing a bottle of red.

 
At 7/31/2005 10:22:00 PM, Blogger K. said...

I've never been very good at small talk, but I've experienced "people block," myself. And for me, doing something new, shaking things up a bit with my routine like calling an old friend I haven't talked to in awhile or going to a show or something is the cure.

 
At 7/31/2005 10:43:00 PM, Blogger deborah said...

i hear you on "am i getting boring" thing.I wonder the same, but usually being in a different environment or taking yourself out of your comfort zone gets the blood pumping.

Oh and you are allowed to have a bad day.

 
At 7/31/2005 10:53:00 PM, Blogger maryann said...

i definitely feel you. i thought maybe it was just me.

however, from what i remember from hanging out with you, your problem prolly isn't *my* problem (general lack of people skills) -- you prolly need to just switch up your routine a bit. go back to chi-town for a few days. :)

DON'T get a cat b/c you feel like you don't have much to say. then you'll become one of those annoying people who talks incessantly about what their boo boo did yesterday and the day before and last week....

 
At 8/01/2005 09:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kitties are work and they don;t really improve your conversation skills. I talk to my cat all of the time and he just says meow and walks away. Little Orange bastard. -Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home