src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Deep as a midtown puddle.

I'm sure someone has said this before, and probably better: Why is it people use the possibility of dying tomorrow as a call to action? I mean, if you really are going to die tomorrow, then what you do right now doesn't matter all that much, because you will either a) cease to exist, rendering regret impossible; b) be reborn to correct all the bullshit mistakes you made this lifetime; c) go to some wonderful happy afterlife where you'll be too busy being wrapped in the light of woo-woo rapture to think about that trip you didn't take; or d) will be tortured for all eternity for the fucked up things you did and will be too busy screaming in horror at the sensation of malodorous beasts eating your innards to suffer regretful introspection.* So wouldn't it make more sense to use the likelihood that you'll still be alive tomorrow as the threat? *shrugs* Also, who's seen the new Harry Potter? Worth $15 to see in Imax? *I am not suggesting how you live each day isn't important, only that the use of potential death tomorrow is just, well, silly. Or not. Whatevers.

3 Comments:

At 12/12/2005 11:05:00 AM, Blogger QuietlyGoingMad said...

There are some really good special effects and action shots, so I think it'd be cool at IMAX.

 
At 12/12/2005 01:53:00 PM, Blogger K. said...

Hey, I was sick this weekend and stuck in the house, so I spent my weekend thinking of almost the exact same thing!

I think the "dying tomorrow" threat has a lot to do the idea that supposedly, people's lives flash before their eyes before they die, and that its a person's final opportunity to assess their lives and the choices they've made, to say, "my life had meaning." No one wants to look back at their life and find that there was little to make it worthwhile, so the motivation is to live so that your final moment in life will be filled with happy, meaningful memories, and not "man, what a waste"

Of course, I'm pulling this out of my ass. When I was at a job that I hated for 5 years, my motivation to find something new was the fear that I would die being consumed with hatred of my job and that's how people would remember me: "The girl who always complained about hating her job.: It was a good motivation for me to get the hell out. But yeah, ideally, life should be the best motivation to live the life you want, the hope that you'll have another day to be happy and live life the way you want to.

I think it's an issue of perception. I think the idea that you only have a certain amount of time to achieve your goals/dream is a good motivator for some.

And yes HP is worth the $15 at IMAX, I think.

 
At 12/13/2005 11:45:00 PM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Harry Potter. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home