src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Sunday, January 29, 2006

I have lost my goddamned mind.

I spent the day with the folks a little ways up the coast. We had a little pre-birthday family time (pizza, ice cream. Yes, it was all my choice. When I'm with my folks, I become 15 again. What?) We also did a little shopping. I really, really needed a new bag for the upcoming trip, you see. The shops in the 'burbs have so much more stylish discount goodness (theory: the ladies who shop in the burbs aren't exactly down with the Baby Phat and/or are down, but think the prices are too high, because clearly they don't have crazy NYC mark-ups to deal with; either way, more for me). I was really, really good. I got this 20" United Colors of Benetton rolling bag and the matching flight bag/knapsack for $68. Like, together, bitches. That's $68 combined! They are green, much like the many travel bags I have admired recently. And they can both be carried into the cabin with me. (I do not believe in checking bags. Just, no.) And I got them both for a third of the cost of one of the others I'd lusted after. All of these features together outweighed the fact that I fucking hate rolling bags, man. So yay, I gots (inexpensive) travel gear, I can pre-pack for Chicago! But do you know how I celebrated my shopping victory? Hm? How I rewarded myself for my thrifty thinking? I took a great big bite of stupid. Now, to be fair, I have always wanted a big old amethyst cocktail ring. It is my birthstone, after all. And I do prefer white gold to yellow because it goes so much better with the undertones in my skin. And those are actual little diamond chips all around the outside, adding up to almost half a carat of sparkles in addition to that big ass purple stone. And this is rather close to what is in fact my dream engagement ring and I see nothing wrong with buying it for myself because who knows if I'll get married, and why wait to find out? But... It wasn't cheap. Sigh. I might return it. But I will wear it around for a few days, first. Just to see how I feel. Ed: This just in! I think my ring is a knockoff of this Fortunoff ring. Now that's a lot of ring. So my future ball and chain still has something to aim for.

11 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 11:37:00 PM, Blogger khris said...

loved the bags. loved the ring even more so ;)

 
At 1/29/2006 11:58:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

Thanks! But it will be a temporary buy. It must go back. The bags will console me, I am sure!

 
At 1/30/2006 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Fresh said...

Great deal on those bags...I got a purse from there on sale AND tax free in SF. Cool deal. Hmmm, buying my own engagement ring...now there's a thought.

 
At 1/30/2006 12:22:00 PM, Blogger divine m said...

Yay and hooray, lady.

Now you can learn to love the rolling bag and stop being a travelling mule.

And, my hope is that you keep that ring--look at it and remember that you choose yourself, baby.

Can't wait to see you this week!

 
At 1/30/2006 03:14:00 PM, Blogger Delia Christina said...

that bag rocks. you know i have to look for it now.

and the ring? niiice.
my ex-roomie saw tiffany's had a ring similar to it and since she couldn't afford their version, she copied it herself - went to a jeweler, picked a beautiful pink sparkly stone, changed the setting slightly and had it done for almost half the cost.

DIY!!

 
At 1/30/2006 08:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what Divine M said. Keep the ring. Every time you look at it, you will think back "I choose me." Seriously. You'll cherish it with a certain amount of pride, confidence, and comfort.

I know because I did the same thing in Key West a couple years ago. I bought a diamond/white gold band as a "little trinket" to myself. My mother always told me to never wait for a man to buy you a diamond. I'm glad I heeded that advice. I've very attached to this ring, as it symbolizes quiet, ageless beauty, and a committment I made to myself. That I'm worth it.

That really didn't come out right, but if you love it, keep it. You'll cherish it forever.

 
At 1/30/2006 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawd its gorgeous!! - the ring that is. I've always bought my own jewelry. I don't know too many young women my age or younger who do though - which has always made me feel like a bit of an odd ball. But so what. I'm so glad there are others - i.e. women who love fine jewelry enough to buy it for themselves. We should have a club. :)

 
At 1/31/2006 12:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so hott.

 
At 1/31/2006 02:24:00 AM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

LOVE IT!!! Love the ring. Love the bags. Love your style; you have a great sense of fashion.

 
At 1/31/2006 01:31:00 PM, Blogger QuietlyGoingMad said...

So lovin' the bags! I'm with those who think you should keep it. If it's an expense that was a wee bit too big, gather that will and buy no more trinkets for oh..the next month or two! :)

 
At 1/31/2006 02:45:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

Wow, thanks, y'all. you made me feel a wee bit better about such a ridiculous expense. Of course, I took it back yesterday. But because I love drama, I re-adpted it today ;}

Berry: Love the discount Benetton! They have a very few of thses bags at the T.J. Maxx on 18th and 6th, and you have orange, blue and green to choose from. If they are still there, that is. And as for buying your own ER? I'm not sayig you have to buy exactly the engagement ring you want; hell, for that, dream big and make your SO sweat a little, LOL. But yeah, I like the idea of this one tiding me over, if you will.

Ding: DIY, I like it! I think that'll be my next step. Maybe I'll actually be able to get myself an exact copy of that Fortunoff for my 30th BDay.

M and Shas: You are both so right and so wise. Can't wait to see you both soon!

Lidia: OKay, I loke clubs. Can I be treasurer ;P I propose our first order of business be tours of the great design houses and their showrooms.

Mr. Sov: Thx, dahlink.

Stolie: Thanks! That's high praise, indeed. I have this image in my mind of you ass a cross between Veronica Webb and Condi Rice (minus the conservatism)

QGM: OKay, you're right. But I'll have to cut back on more than trinkets! See you in Chi!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home