src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Bouley.

Last night, dinner at Bouley (120 W Broadway, at W Broadway and Reade; 1 or 9 to Chambers). Now before you go pointing out that dinner at Bouley would seem to be a violation of my only resolution this year (greater efficiency--of speech, cash, time, and self-care), I'd like to point out two things: 1. I didn't tell you about that resolution until just now and 2. I wasn't paying. So there. Now that that's settled, on to the comestibles. We (work folks) chose the tasting menu (which, if you're interested, rings in at about $75/person at dinner, more if you have the Kobe beef or choose wine pairings, and covers, if I recall, five courses), and I was duly impressed. The starter--cucumber, cured salmon and trout roe in a yogurt foam, served in a tiny aperitif glass--was quite good. Not spectacular, but a pleasant start. I went on to have the sashimi quality tuna with shaved fennel, sea bass with porcini and hon shimeji mushrooms, lobster and valrhona chocolate souffle. The tuna really was fantastic, but then again, I'm a big fan of the raw fish. The sea bass and lobster, however...let's see, how to describe...oh, yes, I have it: the chef can do things with porcini mushrooms that could make the devil blush. Really. The sea bass was braised and buttery and the lobster was perfect and buttery and both were similarly, wonderfully tarted up with butter and mushrooms and herbs and asparagus (which happens to be my favorite veg, and until dinner at Bouley, I didn't believe anyone could prepare it as well as I could, let alone better.) In fact, come to think of it, I think the bass and lobster were identically dressed--the lobster wasn't as listed in the online menu. No matter. The souffle was quite nice, served with three sorbets on the side, which, if I'm not mistaken, were a chocolate, a nut-flavored (maybe hazelnut) and, frankly, I can't recall the other, because by the final course I had worked my way through two glasses of Reisling and a martini the size of my jumbo-sized head. In all, most of my cohorts enjoyed everything served, though there did seem to be some disagreement over the passion fruit, mint and coconut foam dish (some thought it was an unpleasant combination). Upon our departure, we were each sent off with a yummy little lavender-lemon pound cake, which, topped with vanilla-cream yogurt and blackberries, made my early morning breakfast much yummier for me. (For those interested in the decor, one of my coworkers pointed out, aptly, that it reminded her of Hobbiton. There are those who would find that quite appealing, in a sort of warm, homey, non-threatening kind of way.) Generally, quite good all around. Not as spectacular as I'd expected from one of the top rated restaurants in town, in this town, but still wonderful. Actually, reflecting on it now, it was pretty spectacular.... *wanders off for another slice of poundcake with berries*

2 Comments:

At 1/06/2005 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Hmmmm ... sounds tasty. Between dinner last night and the shopping trip, I hope you are coming out of your post-Holiday funk.

:)

 
At 1/09/2005 04:35:00 AM, Blogger deborah said...

Mmmm... sounds like a scrummy meal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home