src="http://openmind.clemish.com/webbands/diversity_rb1_right.js">

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

To lighten a heavy heart...

...exercise the wallet. I dropped $700 in about 15 minutes yesterday. Purchase #1 was, of course, Baby. Baby and all her accessories, like these cute socks, and an extended Applecare warranty. I love her so. Sometimes, we play games, like "Music Quiz," where I try to guess which of my 300 songs she's playing in under 2 seconds. That's so much fun. We're totally BFF already. Purchase #2, on the other hand, was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. Since I was in the area, I decided to swing by the Puma Store (521 Broadway; N, R, or W to Prince) on my way home. Hell, who am I kidding? I had decided to swing by the Puma Store before I even got off the downtown R. Anyway, I saw lots of lovely permutations of the comfy shoegasms I so love. When I checked the prices, though, I noticed everything was about $5 more than at the Foot Locker next door, so I skipped over there instead, and picked up two more pairs (thank you, X!) of Speed Cats--one blue and white pair, identical to the ones I have already, as a backup, and these, as an early Valentine's Day gift to myself. Even though I was wearing a pair of the damned shoes, knew what size and color I needed, and had my bank card at the ready to ring those bitches up--$150!--it still took longer to get the shoes than the iPod, because one of the bestriped boys at the Foot Locker felt he just had to try to upsell with some damned stupid heel inserts, waterproofer and cleaner. (Brotherman, I gots that all covered.) Like the $150 wasn't enough. WTF? Sigh. I could probably have avoided the whole sad rap if I had just bought them at the Puma Store. Only an arsetard like me would drop $500+ on a walkman and walkman socks (I wouldn't pay $29 for socks for myself for fuck's sake), and then quibble over $5 extra for the shoes. I may bitch about being back at work, but damn, it does have it's perks. Hot damn, payday! There was a time--grad school, I believe it was called--when what I spent yesterday was my whole month's rent, and I would not have even dreamed of dropping that kind of cash in a week, let alone an hour. Mwahahaha! Which is not to say I spend like this all the time. I don't. (Note to self: stay the hell out of SoHo. Between Puma, Apple and Blue Ribbon, I might end up a liar.) But it's nice to be able to do it now and then without breaking out into a cold sweat or wondering how I'll eat for the rest of the year. Something to think long and hard about before I consider going back to school for a Ph.D. But that's another post.

1 Comments:

At 1/05/2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Sid said...

X--you know you betta! We'll have a little party, lol. You bring your MD, we got love for all kinds of digital music devices in my place :)

Prince*--It might be luck...or it might be the 60 hours a week I put in at work, lol. Child, I get ONE day off a week. ONE. I make good money, but I work for it!

Phil--Yay, converts! (not converse. but those can be ill, too.) Don't you love them. I honestly do doubletakes at men wearing these shoes, especially brightly colored ones, because I assume they are as fun as I am, and/or are eurotrashy friend potential, lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home